We include the mandatory health goals that are more often than not forgotten within the first week of the New Year.
The best case scenario is when you wake up every morning, put on those ridiculously expensive new jogging shoes, exercise attire and start famous diets, charging ahead with spirit attending every possible health class you could have joined!
And this you tend to do every morning with gusto for the first ten days! But the eleventh day finds you invariably cursing your jogging shoes, your muscles and the holy Almighty above; the jog, diets all fizzle over tending to become a thing of the past.
So, why is it that most of our health resolutions flip flop despite a desperate need to accomplish them? We brainstormed a little and came up with a few possible reasons and how we can overcome them.
1. Health Awareness
- We will prepare our teenage son for the stressful 12th Standard Board exams but we will not educate ourselves about his health needs, exercise, diet to help him maintain good health, memory and concentration levels during the stressful exam period. We often don’t know how really harmful our food habits can be!
- Not knowing our body and how different diets could affect us, we go overboard on crash-diets and overnight remedies that affect our body adversely at times.
At any given age, it is important to know about our health and fitness levels and where we stand clinically. So, clinical tests needs to be done from time to time and we must get an opinion from the Doctor for the same as mentioned in the links given below.
- While we toil endlessly to get our projects done on time, with the incentive of the pending promotions, we do not show the same dedication towards our health. If you think there is no incentive here, remind yourself that your health is all you have that you can actively control. A healthy mind and a healthy body will form the perfect package for a happy life.
Avoid making Flip-flop commitments and stay committed to oneself. One can always seek professional help to stay committed towards individual health goals.
- We need to wake up and realize that our health and lifestyle issues are important. We do not even consider health issues to be factors in our life that could have a real effect on everything we do. Why do we have to wait to get those health shockers for waking up to the realities of our current health status?
Remember to keep individual health goals as your top priority for the year and go for it! Prioritize health and fitness and take on individual health goals. It is always better to take up preventive measures rather than curative measures as a last resort!
4. Our mindset about scientific coaching
- It is either misdirection or sheer unwillingness, but while we hire three different tutors for our kindergarten children, we never look for guidance from a health expert. There is a wealth of unverified information on the internet that often misguides us. We should seek help for one’s personalised healthy lifestyle from expert consultant. This is one way that our progress will be mapped and monitored.
Change your own mindset about health and ask for expert help and advice which will surely get you there, faster than you can imagine!
5. Goal Setting
They say, “A Goal, without a Plan is just a wish!”
- We want instant results and get disappointed when things don’t work out that way.We tend to follow crazy diets in the blind race to become status symbols. For instance, we start too many health activities and that too all of them together at the same time which leads us to exhaustion affecting our body adversely. What we need to realize is that our body is a temple and it needs enough devotion and dedication before things start to turn out in the manner we expected.
Goals should be S.M.A.R.T. (Specific, Measureable, Achievable, Realistic and Time bound) Set personalised small health goals. Take one step at a time, till it is achievable and then move on to the next goal till you get the results you want!
They say, “The body achieves what the mind believes”
- Developing the right attitude towards our own health and lifestyle can take us onto healthy living and giving us the happiness and success we want to achieve.
For more on this, check out our previous year’s New Year Resolution ‘Yes I Can’ to develop the right balance between good health, right mindset and positive attitude.